Warm tuna, pasta and parsley salad
This is a simple and delicious pasta dish that is just as good served hot as it is cold. It makes a great lunch for friends because you can make it a day in advance, so you can relax and enjoy the company.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g penne or other pasta shapes
- 2 1/2 170g cans tuna in water drained
- 1 199ml can corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp bottled capers rinsed and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking tray with baking parchment and lay out the cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic and pine nuts. Drizzle everything with the oil, season to taste and gently toss together. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and the pine nuts are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to the package instructions until tender.
- To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, mustard and capers in a small bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain in a colander, then return to the pot. Add the roasted tomato mixture, tuna, corn, parsley and dressing to the pasta and mix gently, without breaking up the tomatoes too much.
Cook's tip: The pasta can be served right away if you prefer it warm, or can be made in advance and the flavours allowed to develop, they will improve over time. Allow it to come to room temperature, or warm up slightly in the microwave to remove the chill.
Variations: You could use Roma tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. Cut into quarters before roasting. For a more leafy salad, add 100 grams arugula or baby spinach leaves to the salad when you add the parsley.
Each serving (6): 21 g protein, 19.5 g fat of which 2.5 g saturates, 34 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 404 Calories