Middle Eastern Turkey-Stuffed Apples With Pomegranate Sauce
Swap ground turkey with yummy chopped veggies for an effortless meatless meal.
- Add mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they reach a “ground meat” consistency; transfer to a bowl.
- Add garlic, ginger, oats and parsley to food processor and pulse until oats break up and reach a rough powder-like consistency. Add to mushroom mixture.
- Add allspice, cinnamon, apricots, onion, egg, turkey, salt and pepper and mix until well distributed.
- Using a melon baller, remove cores and stems from apples. Hollow out apples, reserving apple filling and leaving at least ¼ inch apple around edges.
- Fill hollowed-out apple halves with meat mixture; set aside.
- Meanwhile, add oil to an oven-safe skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, apple scraps and ginger and cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes, until softened.
- Add chicken stock, pomegranate molasses, coconut sugar and lemon juice.
- Place stuffed apple halves in pan with filling facing up.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes, or until a thermometer placed in centre of apple reaches 165°F.
- Preheat broiler and transfer pan to oven to broil tops of “meat” and apples until browned.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper and scatter with pomegranate seeds and parsley.
Per Serving: 231 calories, 18 g protein, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 g carbs, 4 g fibre, 26 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium