Toasted Almond Meringue Cloud
These almond meringues taste decadent, but are actually low in fat and calories
Recipe courtesy Almond Board of California
- 1 1/4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200°F (98°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place almonds in a single layer in a dry skillet, and turn heat to medium. Toast, stirring occasionally, until almonds are fragrant (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites on medium speed to soft peaks, about 1 to 2 minutes. With the mixer running, add granulated sugar in three parts, waiting 20 seconds between additions. Using a rubber spatula, fold in confectioners' sugar and salt. Fold in 1 cup (250 ml) of toasted almonds.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out large oval-shaped mounds of meringue and place on the lined sheet pan. Sprinkle meringue clouds with remaining toasted almonds. Bake for two hours. Turn off oven. Leave clouds to dry overnight in the oven. Remove clouds from the tray and store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Per serving: 112 calories, 3 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fibre, 20 mg calcium, 19 mg magnesium, 90 mg sodium, 68 mg potassium, 1.6 mg vitamin E