Thai-style chicken skewers
Packed with fresh, zesty Thai flavours, these little ground chicken skewers are grilled and served with baby corn, pepper and scallion skewers for a healthy, nutritious meal. Serve with an Asian-style salad for extra vegetables.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 24 baby corn
- 1 large yellow pepper halved and deseeded
- 8 scallions
- 1 lb ground chicken or pork
- 1 small egg white
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lemon grass stalk chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- Soak 16 bamboo skewers in cold water (to prevent them from burning under the broiler). Cut the pepper into 2.5 cm chunks. Cut six of the scallions into 4 cm lengths. Thread the vegetables onto half of the skewers, alternating the corn with the pepper and scallions. Set aside. Preheat the broiler.
- Chop the remaining scallions and put in a food processor bowl with the chicken, egg white, ginger, garlic, cilantro, fish sauce and lemon grass. Process until chopped and beginning to bind together, but not completely smooth.
- Divide the mixture into eight and use your hands to shape each piece around the remaining skewers. Arrange on a foil-lined grill tray. Mix the vegetable and sesame oils and lightly brush onto the chicken and vegetable skewers. Add the sesame seeds to any remaining oil.
- Broil the chicken skewers for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden. After 10 minutes, add the vegetable skewers and cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden. Brush over the remaining oil with the seeds for the last minute of cooking. Serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Cook's tip: To prepare ahead, make up the mixture for the chicken skewers, then cover with plastic wrap. Keep chilled and cook within 2 days.
Each serving: 27 g protein, 19 g fat of which 4 g saturates, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 325 Calories