Sweet & Sour Tofu
Weight-loss bonus: A 2011 study published in The New England Journal of Medicine linked eating nutrient-rich whole grains such as brown rice and spelt to increased weight loss
Best Health magazine, January 2013; Image: Maya Visnyei
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 block firm tofu (about 450 g), sliced into 1-in. cubes
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 green onions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 6 bunches baby bok choy thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- Place 2 cups (500 mL) water, plus rice and a pinch of salt, in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together vegetable broth, rice vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and tofu; cook until tofu is browned, about four minutes, then transfer to a plate.
- Add red pepper, broccoli, green onion, garlic and ginger to pan. Stir-fry one minute, or until peppers are tender. Add tofu, pineapple, bok choy, cashews and broth mixture; cook for one minute more. Serve over cooked brown rice.
Per serving: 436 calories, 17 g protein, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 61 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium