Sunny-Side-Up Egg Pita Pizzas
The addition of eggs makes pizza appropriate for breakfast, lunch or dinner. These Sunny-Side-Up Egg Pita Pizzas are high in protein and offer plenty of veggies.
Best Health magazine, March/April 2015
- 2 tsp canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced (we used a mix of yellow and green)
- 4 whole-wheat pitas 6-in. diameter
- 1 cup low-sodium refried beans
- 11/2 cups arugula (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini, and cook until softened, about six minutes. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread an equal amount of the refried beans over pitas and top with arugula, mozzarella cheese, cooked zucchini and onion, and tomatoes. Form a well in the centre of the toppings of each pizza and crack an egg into each, being careful not to break yolks.
- Cook in oven about 15 to 25 minutes, until eggs are set as firmly as desired. Garnish with additional arugula and black pepper.
Per pizza: 437 calories, 26 g protein, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 55 carbohydrates, 9 g fibre, 233 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium.