Spicy Italian White Beans with Rapini
This Spicy Italian White Beans recipe would be delicious as a side to broiled trout or piled on top of a slice of grilled sourdough bread.
Best Health magazine, January/February 2015
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch rapini roughly chopped
- 2 cans no salt added cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
- In a medium to large pot with a lid combine olive oil, garlic, anchovies (if using), hot pepper flakes and sea salt. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium high heat or until garlic just starts to brown and anchovies break apart.
- Stir in water and rapini, cover, and simmer until rapini is tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Add a bit more water if pan begins to go dry.
- Turn heat to medium low and add beans, stirring gently to combine. Cook about 3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Remove from heat and add olive oil and lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Shaved Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
Per serving: 252 calories, 18 g protein, 6 g fat, 31 g carbohydrates, 9 g fibre, 13 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium.