Healthiest Slow-Cooker Quinoa Cabbage Rolls
This cabbage rolls recipe isn’t just easy and quick to make, it’s healthy too.
Makeover dinner with the healthiest cabbage rolls you can make. This slow-cooker recipe updates a comfort-food classic by swapping white rice for protein-packed quinoa. And, we’ve trimmed the fat by replacing some of the ground beef with chopped mushrooms. Since using cabbage as our “roll” isn’t enough to satisfy our cabbage cravings, we snuck its fermented counterpart (sauerkraut!) into the sweet and tangy sauce, too. These fix-it-and-forget-it cabbage rolls are the key to an impressive yet worry-free supper.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 head savoy cabbage leaves separated and tough end of rib removed
- 1½ cups tomato sauce low-sodium variety
- ½ cup sauerkraut low-sodium variety, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz/794 mL), drained well
- ½ tsp paprika smoked sweet variety
- 1 tsp paprika smoked sweet variety
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup onion finely minced
- 1 cup carrot finely grated
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ½ lb ground beef extra-lean
- ½ lb ground turkey extra-lean
- Salt and pepper to taste
- parsley fresh flat-leaf variety, chopped, to garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil cabbage leaves for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, sauerkraut, tomatoes, ½ tsp of the paprika, honey and Worcestershire sauce. In a food processor, pulse mushrooms until they resemble ground meat in texture.
- In another bowl, combine mushrooms, cooked quinoa, egg, onion, carrot, garlic, 1 tsp of the paprika, ground beef, ground turkey and pinch each of the salt and pepper. Scoop about ⅓ cup (75 mL) of the ground turkey mixture into the centre of each cabbage leaf. Roll up leaves, tucking in ends. Place in a slow cooker, smother with tomato sauce and cover with lid.
- Cook on low heat for 8 to 9 hours or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Serve cabbage rolls with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.
Per serving: 308 calories, 22 g protein, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 g carbs, 8 g fibre, 90 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium