Seafood Soup with Fennel and Saffron
One of my favourite soups is Seafood Soup with with Fennel and Saffron. The aroma of the onion, fennel, garlic and saffron fills the house and brings me back to the last time I tasted a bowlful’honestly, it’s that powerful.
Best Health Magazine, November 2011; Photo by Ryan Szulc
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fennel finely sliced
- 1 cup onion finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- pinch saffron
- 2 cups potatoes cubed, peeled
- 200 g firm white fish (about 2 small fillets), cut into cubes
- 20 small shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 4 medium scallops
- 16 mussels scrubbed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs parsley chopped
- In a heavy soup pot over low heat, add olive oil, fennel, onion, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, and sauté until fennel is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, white wine, saffron and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes soften, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add fish, shrimp, scallops and mussels, then cover pot and cook until mussels open. Season to taste. Discard bay leaf and thyme. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve hot.
Per serving: 453 calories, 31 g protein, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 96 mg cholesterol, 632 mg sodium