Even though potato gnocchi are Italian, this is a great recipe to include in a local dinner.
Bonnie Stern’s Friday Night Dinners
- Bake potatoes in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 1 hour, or until very tender. Cut into quarters and cool slightly. Peel and put through a food mill or ricer. Stir in salt.
- While potatoes are still warm, knead in flour 1/2 cup (125 ml) at a time. Knead until dough is only slightly sticky.
- Divide dough into four pieces and roll into ropes about 3/4 inch (2cm) thick. Cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces and roll each piece along the tines of a fork (to create indentations to hold the sauce).
- Place potato gnocchi on a baking sheet lined with a floured tea towel and refrigerate for up to a day.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potato gnocchi and cook for about 3 minutes, or until they all come to the surface and water returns to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes longer. Drain well.
- Toss immediately with butter, sage and salt.