Potato and Lentil Salad
Potatoes and lentils make great partners, with their earthiness and ability to carry other flavours.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 kg boiling (waxy) potatoes scrubbed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400 g can brown lentils rinsed and drained well
- 1 1/4 cups black olives pitted
- 1 tbsp capers rinsed and squeezed dry, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 6 spring onions (scallions) diagonally sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks, leaving the skin on. Add to a large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Stir the olive oil and vinegar through the hot potatoes. Add the lentils, olives, capers, garlic, parsley, spring onions and lemon juice. Season with a pinch of salt and a good grinding of black pepper. Toss well to combine and serve warm.
Per serving: 435 calories, 7 g protein, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrate (2 g sugars), 4 g fibre, 510 mg sodium