Open-Face Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
Here’s a sandwich that will convert even diehard carnivores. Portobello mushrooms, have a rich, beefy texture and especially when grilled, are a satisfying substitute for a burger. Toasted Italian bread and goat cheese make it even better.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 1 small bunch asparagus trimmed and spears cut in half
- 1 large red bell pepper halved and seeded
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 3 oz goat cheese
- Preheat grill or broiler. In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Brush mushrooms, asparagus, and bell pepper with oil mixture.
- Grill or broil vegetables 4 inches from heat, turning over once, until tender, about 10 minutes for asparagus and bell pepper, and about 12 minutes for mushrooms. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice pepper.
- Turn off grill or broiler. Place bread on grill or broiler rack until warm, about 2 minutes.
- Spread goat cheese on bread. Place mushrooms on each slice. Top with bell pepper and asparagus. Serve warm.