Moroccan lamb and couscous salad
Enjoy the fragrant flavours of cilantro and mint in this North African-inspired salad, which can be largely prepared ahead. Lamb is a good source of protein, as well as B vitamins, iron and zinc.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4servings||30minutes + 10 minutes resting||1hour|
|4servings||30minutes + 10 minutes resting|
- 2 zucchini quartered and cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 yellow peppers deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions each cut into six wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g lamb trimmed of fat
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 8 black olives pitted, sliced
- 6 scallions sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Tomato Dressing
- 7 tbsp tomato juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp chili sauce or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put the zucchini, peppers and red onions in a roasting pan, spoon over the olive oil and toss together to coat the vegetables. Put the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, turning the vegetables after about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish. Add the lamb, turn to coat, then cover and set aside. Put all the dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar, shake together and set aside.
- Stir the vegetables once they have roasted for 30 minutes, arrange the lamb on top and pour over the marinade. Return to the oven and continue roasting for a further 30 minutes until the lamb is cooked but still juicy. (You can prepare ahead up to this stage if more convenient and chill for up to 24 hours.)
- Put the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Set aside, covered, for about 5 minutes until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Fork in the herbs, olives and scallions.
- Transfer the lamb to a plate and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Stir all the roasted vegetables into the couscous, then thinly slice the lamb and lay it on top of the couscous. Shake the dressing and pour it over the salad. Toss together, then serve warm.
Cook's tip: If you have time, you can marinate the lamb overnight.
Each serving: 32 g protein, 23.5 g fat of which 6 g saturates, 23.5 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 453 Calories