Mexican Black Beans
This Mexican Black Beans recipe is great for serving with tortilla chips
Best Health magazine, January/February 2015
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped or crushed
- 2 medium shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeno liquid
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cans no salt added black beans
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Pickled jalapenos
- In a medium pot over medium high heat, add olive oil then garlic, shallots and salt. Stir to combine and cook until shallots are soft. Do not brown. Stir in cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then stir in pickled jalapeno liquid and water and heat until simmering.
- Add beans and stir gently. Simmer for about five minutes.
- Remove from heat and check for seasoning. Stir in the chopped cilantro and remove beans to a serving platter before topping with green onion, pickled jalapeno and more cilantro leaves.
- Serve with multi-grain or bean based tortilla chips, grated cheddar or crumbled feta, salsa, sliced avocado and iceberg lettuce for wrapping, if desired.
Per serving: 136 calories, 6 g protein, 4 g fat, 19 g carbohydrates, 5 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium.
Tip: To reduce sodium levels, use less salt or try a low-sodium salt option.