Melitzanosalata (Eggplant Dip)
Eggplants are a Greek’s best friend. Roasted eggplants, even better! Melitzanosalata is served at most Greek tavernas and is delicious as a side, or on crackers or in a sandwich.
From the Olive Grove, Arsenal Pulp Press
From the Olive Grove. Published by Arsenal Pulp Press. copyright © 2010 by Helen and Anastasia Koutalianos. All rights reserved. Reprinted by permission of Arsenal Pulp Press.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Make 3 to 4 slits lengthwise in the eggplant, and insert garlic cloves into slits. Make some slits in the side of the tomato as well.
- Place the eggplant and whole tomato on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake until soft. (Note: the tomato may soften before the eggplant.)
- Remove the tomato when soft, then let the eggplant become soft and remove when done, about 45 minutes.
- Remove baking pan from oven and let cool.
- Remove skins from the eggplant and tomato and discard skins.
- In a food processor, blend the roasted eggplant and tomato, then add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.