Lavash Pizza with a Salad of Greens, Gorgonzola and Toasted Almonds
This cheesy flatbread pizza is covered with fresh salad greens and almonds and makes a delicious appetizer.
Recipe courtesy Almond Board of California
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds (or whole natural)
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces lavash bread cut into 8x12-inch rectangles
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese grated
- 8 cups baby salad greens
- 4 oz Gorgonzola or other blue-veined cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until light golden (if using blanched), 8 to 10 minutes. Chop the almonds coarsely (this can be done several hours in advance). Increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200ºC).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. This can be done several hours in advance.
- Five to 10 minutes before serving, place one sheet of the lavash on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until it just begins to take on a light golden colour, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the grated mozzarella onto the top, distributing evenly. Place the lavash in the oven again and bake until the cheese is melted and the lavash is golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, toss the salad greens and almonds with the vinaigrette. When the lavash is golden and crisp, remove from the oven and top with one-quarter of the salad. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the Gorgonzola onto the top. Cut into squares or rough shapes and serve immediately.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, making 4 lavash pizzas in total.
348 calories, 27.4 g total fat, 10.4 g saturated fat, 12.7 g monounsaturated fat, 2.9 g polyunsaturated fat, 11 g carbohydrate, 16 g protein, 3.3 g fibre, 319 mg calcium, 52 mg magnesium, 530 mg sodium, 331 mg potassium, 4.8 mg vitamin E