Julienne Vegetable Slaw
This fresh, crispy salad will work well with any seasonal vegetables. If you don’t like your vegetables too crisp, you can blanch them all for a couple of minutes before adding the vinaigrette and then refrigerate them.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 20 yellow beans ends trimmed
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into matchsticks
- 3 green onions cut into long matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 stalk celery cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/3 English cucumber cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup bean sprouts washed
- handful cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups (500 mL) water to a small saucepan, boil water and blanch yellow beans for one minute (or all veggies if you prefer). Remove and cool in cold water.
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, red pepper, green onion, carrot, celery and red cabbage. Dress with 3/4 of the vinaigrette and refrigerate for four hours, turning ingredients a couple of times.
- Just before serving, add cucumber, bean sprouts, cilantro leaves and sesame seeds; fold together and adjust seasoning to taste. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over salad.
Per serving: 83 calories, 2 g protein, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada