Homemade Low-Fat Granola
Quick, simple and healthy, this versatile, homemade low-fat granola is more than just a breakfast cereal: add dried fruit for a portable snack, or combine with yogurt and berries for an amazing parfait.
Best Health Magazine, Summer 2008, Reader’s Digest; Photo: Edward Pond
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup flaxseeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup pitted dates cut into small pieces
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 300°F and set the oven rack in the middle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and cinnamon. In a smaller glass bowl, combine honey and coconut oil, then warm in microwave or on stovetop until liquid. Add vanilla and water. Add wet mixture to the dry, stirring until crumbly. Spread onto a 13-by-18-inch baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and rotating pan to compensate for any hot spots in the oven. Remove from oven and cool. Transfer to a large bowl, and add pitted dates, dried cranberries and raisins. Store granola in airtight containers and refrigerate for future use.