HealthFare’s Chicken, Peanut and Lime Rice Bowl
With a little advance planning, this warm and comforting rice bowl topped with chicken and veggies can be ready in minutes. Alter the combination of vegetables depending on what you have on hand.
Best Health Magazine, September 2009
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp spicy Thai peanut sauce (found in large grocery stores)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 1/2 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/4 cup carrots julienned
- 1/4 cup celery julienned
- 1/4 cup sweet peppers julienned
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup bok choy chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- Cut chicken into 1-in. (2.5-cm) cubes and put in small bowl. Add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of peanut sauce and the lime juice to chicken, and marinate overnight in fridge.
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions.
- Cook chicken in sauté pan (discard marinade) on medium heat for two to three minutes until no longer pink. Add carrots, celery, peppers, broccoli and bok choy to pan and toss to combine. Add remaining 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of peanut sauce to chicken and vegetables, and continue cooking for one to two minutes to heat through.
- Scoop rice into a bowl, top with chicken-vegetable mixture, and garnish with green onion.
Per serving: 415 calories, 33 g protein, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 61 mg cholesterol, 1102 mg sodium