Grilled Veggie and Turkey Bagels
This hearty recipe is satisfying served open-faced, but if you’re really hungry, use a whole bagel for each sandwich.
Best Health Magazine, March/April 2012; Photo by Ryan Szulc
- 1 zucchini small, sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 1 red pepper seeded, cut in quarters
- 8 slices eggplant thinly sliced
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 portobello mushrooms small
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 multi-grain bagels halved
- 200 g turkey breast thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, place zucchini, red pepper, eggplant, red onion, mushrooms and olive oil; toss till covered.
- Preheat barbecue to high (or use an indoor grill, or the broiler in your oven). Place vegetables on grill (or a baking sheet if using broiler), season with salt and pepper, and cook until they soften. Turn and grill until cooked through. Remove from heat, place back in bowl and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and rosemary. Toast each bagel half. Spread mayo mixture on each, then top with turkey and vegetables.
Per serving: 331 calories, 19 g protein, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 8 g fibre, 39 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium