The Great Canadian Hemp Cookie
Grown only in Canada, Hemp Hearts add a subtle nutty flavor to this recipe.
Recipe from Hot Detox by Julie Daniluk, R.H.N. ©2016. Photographs © Shannon J. Ross. Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.
Photo Credit: Shannon J. Ross
- 2 1/2 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds freshly ground if possible
- 2 cups Hemp Hearts
- 2 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink rock sea salt or gray sea salt
- 2/3 cup raw liquid honey
- 2 tbsp coconut butter or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water and flax, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the hemp, coconut, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the honey and coconut butter to the flax. With a hand mixer, beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Fold this wet mixture into the dry ingredients, and combine well. The resulting texture should be fairly dry.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the mixture, and, using your hands, roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet. With wet fingers, flatten the top so the cookie is 1/2 inch thick. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
Makes 24 cookies. Will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 6 months in the freezer.