French Onion-Tomato Soup
A twist on traditional French onion soup, the addition of tomato juice lends a whole new flavour to the onions.
The Ultimate Soup Cookbook, Reader’s Digest
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cups onions thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 5 3/4 cups tomato juice
- 2 tsp beef bouillon gnaules
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 6 slices French bread toasted
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and saute 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato juice, bouillon, lemon juice, parsley, and brown sugar. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat boiler. Ladle soup into 1 1/4 cup ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins. Top with toasted bread and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is bubbling, about 2 minutes.