Four Seasons Pizza
This tasty pizza includes a variety of toppings to suit every taste. It is lower in fat and salt than pre-made pizzas, yet has just as much flavour. Don’t be put off by the long ingredients list ‘ it’s easy and fun to make and will soon become a favourite. Serve with a big green salad.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
- Pizza Dough
- 2 1/2 cups white bread or all-purpose flour
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup tepid water plus 2 tablespoons
- 150 g baby leeks trimmed and sliced
- 125 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large bottled roasted red pepper pieces drained and thickly sliced
- 2/3 cup canned artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tapenade
- 50 g prosciutto thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup black olives pitted, sliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- a few sprigs fresh oregano
- Mix together the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and stir in the olive oil with enough of the tepid water to make a smooth dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough back in the rinsed-out and lightly oiled bowl, then cover with a damp dish towel or oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and prepare the toppings. Put the leeks in a pot with the mushrooms and vinegar, cover and cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pot occasionally, until softened. Mix the peppers with the artichokes. Mix the garlic into the tomato sauce.
- Turn out the risen dough onto the lightly floured surface and punch it down, knead lightly, then roll out or press out with your knuckles to a 30-32 cm round on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Spread the tomato sauce mixture evenly over the pizza crust, then pile the leeks and mushrooms over one-quarter of the dough and the peppers and artichokes over a second quarter. Over a third quarter, dot the tapenade and scrunch the prosciutto on top. Spread the olives and tomatoes over the last quarter. Sprinkle the cheese over the whole pizza.
- Bake the pizza for about 30 minutes until golden around the edges and lightly browned on top. Scatter some sprigs of oregano over the pizza, cut into slices and serve piping hot.
Variation: Whole wheat flour can be used for the dough instead of white, but will produce a heavier texture, so it is better mixed half-and-half with white flour.
Each serving: 135 calories, 5.5 g protein, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fibre