Citrus and Spinach Salad
Fresh leaf spinach pairs well with citrus fruits, melon and prosciutto. Here the spinach is tossed with the fruits and their juices and then drizzled with a creamy and sweet balsamic dressing. A little prosciutto is used to top the salad, so you get the flavour without adding too much fat!
Excerpted from Eat to Beat Diabetes, available now in the Best Health Store
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 large ruby-red grapefruit
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves washed
- 1 small cantaloupe peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4 scallions white parts only, very thinly sliced
- 4 oz prosciutto thinly sliced, cut into shreds
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp 6% cream
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- First, make the dressing. Place the vinegar, oil, cream, honey, salt and pepper into a 1-pint (500-ml) jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake until well blended.
- To make the salad, use a citrus zester or peeler to remove fine shreds of zest from one orange. Set aside. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juices, peel the oranges and grapefruit using a serrated fruit knife; be sure to remove all of the white pith.
- Cut between the membranes of the fruits, lift out the fruit sections, and place in the bowl with the juices.
- Add 2 tbsp (25 ml) of the combined grapefruit and orange juices to the dressing and shake again to blend. Taste and add more citrus juice, salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place the spinach in a large serving bowl. Add the orange and grapefruit sections and juices from the bowl, the cantaloupe and the scallions. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients among the spinach leaves.
- Shake the dressing once more, then pour it over the salad and toss again. Scatter the shredded prosciutto over the top of the salad and sprinkle on the orange zest. Serve the salad immediately.
Each serving provides calories 193, calories from fat 99, fat 11 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 21 mg, carbohydrate 19 g, fibre 3 g, sugars 14 g, protein 7 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1, Meat & Alternatives 1, Fat 1 1⁄2