Chocolate Cherry Mini-Cupcakes
These Mini Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes will wow your guests!
Best Health magazine, November/December 2015; Photo by James Tse
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coffee strongly brewed and chilled
- ¾ cup cherry jelly or fruit spread
- ⅓ cup canola oil or vegetable, coconut or avocado oil
- 1½ tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Cherry Icing
- ¼ cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- ¼ cup cherry jelly or fruit spread
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups icing sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Whisk in coffee, jelly, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract just until combined; divide among 40 paper-lined mini-muffin cups (in 2 batches, if necessary).
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester or toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes; transfer muffins in liners from cups to rack and let cool completely.
- Cherry Icing: In bowl of stand mixer or with electric beaters, beat margarine until creamy. Beat in jelly and vanilla extract. Add half of the icing sugar; blend until smooth. Add remaining icing sugar; blend until thick and spreadable. Spread each cupcake with about 2 tsp (10 mL) icing.
- Note: The recipe measures provided are sufficient to spread a single layer of icing over 40 mini-cupcakes. Double the recipe to achieve the look photographed.
Per iced cupcake: 77 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 58 mg sodium