An easy, Italian-style dish of chicken breasts, oven-baked with a low-fat, chunky vegetable sauce, with a Parmesan topping. Serve with warm ciabatta or baguette to mop up the delicious sauce.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 200 g mushrooms small, quartered
- 1 large eggplant diced
- 500 g Roma tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 15 g fresh basil torn into small pieces
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or deep frying pan, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the eggplant, cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and stir over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes to combine. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes until thick. Stir in the basil and season to taste.
- If using a flameproof casserole, lay the chicken in the sauce. Alternatively, arrange the chicken in a single layer in a deep ovenproof baking dish or casserole and spoon the sauce over the top. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, preheat the grill. Uncover the chicken and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the dish. Put the dish under the grill for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Variations: Replace the mushrooms with a 398 ml can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered, or with 4 zucchini, diced. This dish would also work well using turkey escalopes.
Each serving: 36.5 g protein, 20 g fat of which 4.5 g saturates, 5 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 354 Calories