Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Who doesn’t love a saucy, cheesy, hot sandwich for dinner? Our Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches update a classic by swapping some of the meat for mushrooms.
Who doesn’t love a saucy, cheesy, hot sandwich for dinner? Our Chicken Sandwiches update the classic Italian meal by swapping some of the meat for mushrooms (slashing calories and boosting nutrition) and by using a fibre-packed crust for a healthier take on the original.
With 23 grams of protein and less than two grams of fat per four-ounce serving, extra-lean ground chicken is a nutritious and inexpensive option. Adding minced mushrooms has some big advantages, too: Research has shown that these fungi help reduce cholesterol, control blood sugar and lower a woman’s risk of breast cancer.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Chicken Patties
- 1 pckg cremini mushrooms stems removed
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes rehydrated in boiled water and finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 whole-grain buns halved and toasted
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese finely shredded
- fresh basil leaves
- Add mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they reach a ground meat-like consistency; set aside.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan, along with onion. Sauté for about 2 or 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add oregano and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer vegetables to a bowl; set aside to let cool slightly.
- Once cool, add ground mushrooms, ground chicken, basil, Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt and black and red pepper. Shape into 4 patties. Refrigerate for 5 minutes to firm up.
- While chilling, add oats and Parmesan cheese to a small food processor and pulse until it breaks up into a bread crumb-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer oat mixture to a shallow pie plate.
- Wipe down pan and add oil over medium-high heat. Carefully toss chicken patties in coating until coated on all sides. Add chicken patties to pan and cook until they are golden brown on both sides and reach an internal temperature of about 165°F, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Preheat broiler, hollow out some of the bread from inside the burger buns and place bottom halves of the burger buns on a baking sheet. Top with a spoonful of pasta sauce, followed by the chicken patty, another spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese melts.
- Garnish each with a basil leaf and add top of burger bun.
PER SERVING: 575 calories, 35 g protein, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 60 g carbs, 8 g fibre, 101 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium