Cauliflower with Crispy Crumbs
The crispy golden topping in this simple side dish is usually made by frying the breadcrumbs in a generous quantity of butter. This version of cauliflower with crispy crumbs uses a modest portion of olive oil and fresh herbs to flavour the topping.
Source: Cook Smart for a Healthy Heart, Reader’s Digest Canada
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cauliflower trimmed and broken into florets
- Crispy Crumb Topping
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- sprigs fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Prepare a saucepan of boiling water with a steamer over the top. Steam the cauliflower for approximately 15 minutes or until tender but not soft.
- Meanwhile, to make the crispy crumb topping, heat the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan or saucepan. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well to coat the crumbs as evenly as possible with the oil. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until the crumbs are well browned and crisp. As the crumbs cook, the oil will seep out of those that absorbed it initially, allowing the rest to become evenly crisp.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a warm serving dish. Season the crumbs with pepper and mix in the thyme, tarragon and parsley. Sprinkle the cauliflower with the crispy crumbs. Garnish with sprigs of herbs, if using, and serve.
Per serving: 66 calories, 4 g protein, 10 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 15 g total carbohydrate, 2 g sugars, 2 g fibre, 144 mg sodium
Cauliflower is a member of the brassica family of cruciferous vegetables. It contains sulphurous compounds thought to help protect against cancer. It also provides vitamin C and fibre.