This Sweet & Sour Braised Cabbage Is The Perfect Side Dish
Take a load off your holiday prep with a make-ahead braised cabbage that won’t disappoint. This side dish pairs well with ham, turkey and even goose.
photo credit: Donna Griffith
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8 to 10 servings||25minutes||75minutes|
|8 to 10 servings||25minutes|
- 1 large green cabbage
- 2 each Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Remove and discard core, and thinly slice each quarter crosswise. Peel and core apples and slice thinly.
- Melt butter in a very large, wide pot over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook until very soft and just tinged with gold, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add sliced cabbage and apples, juice and caraway seeds (if using). Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes or until cabbage and apples are completely tender.
- Remove lid and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring often, until there is only about ½ to 1 inch of liquid remaining in the pot (about 5 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in vinegar.
- Make-ahead: Let cool completely and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pot on the stove, tasting and adding more vinegar and salt as needed.
Nutrients per serving: 90 calories, 2 g protein, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 g carbohydrates (4 g fibre), 6 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium
Best Health tip: Make this recipe vegan by using canola oil in place of butter.
Originally Published in Best Health Canada