Baby Leek Salad with Tarragon
Here, young tender leeks are marinated in a piquant tarragon vinaigrette and then sprinkled with hard-boiled eggs and toasted breadcrumbs. This salad makes an excellent side salad, starter or light lunch.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/4 cup fresh coarse wholegrain or white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 500 g baby leeks halved lengthwise
- Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high. Line the grill pan or a baking tray with foil. Spread the breadcrumbs on the tray, then toast for 4 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the eggs and cook for 10 minutes. While the eggs are cooking, steam the leeks for 5-8 minutes, until just tender. (The leeks can be steamed over the eggs.)
- Meanwhile, to make the vinaigrette, whisk the peanut oil, vinegar, mustard and tarragon in a bowl, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the eggs and cool under cold running water, then peel and finely chop them.
- Arrange the leeks on a platter or individual serving plates and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Leave to cool, then scatter over the eggs and toasted breadcrumbs. Serve before the crumbs lose their texture.
Tip: For the best flavour, serve the salad at room temperature, not chilled.
Per serving: 212 calories, 7 g protein, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrate (5 g sugars), 4 g fibre, 265 mg sodium