Must-have base layers for winter fitness
Buy a couple of key base layers for skiing, skating, running and more to keep you motivated (and warm) for winter fitness
Stay warm during winter workouts
Clockwise from top left:
1. Icebreaker’s Sprite Racerback bra is three thin layers of moisture-wicking, breathable Merino wool/Lycra jersey; contoured seams give light support ($60).
2. These loose leggings with an Aztec-inspired print use sweat-wicking polyester/spandex that has a soft, brushed feel, is antimicrobial and gives UPF 50+ sun protection (Burton, $55 at Sporting Life).
3. Helly Hansen’s Lifa fabric is a lightweight piqué-knit polypropylene designed to quickly wick away sweat during high-energy activities ($45 at Sporting Life).
4. The medium-support Nike Define Bra with Dri-Fit fabric has moulded cups to maintain shape, and strap stabilizers to reduce bounce ($60).
5. Spyder’s microfibre Runner top is seamless with a compression fit. It’s antimicrobial and moisture-wicking, and made of polyester/nylon/elastane ($65 at Sporting Life).
6. The Lululemon Energy Bra gives light support and has removable cups. The smooth, low-friction fabric is moisture-wicking and breathable, and has four-way stretch ($48).
7. Designed for the extreme cold, MEC’s T3 Longjohns have a fleecy grid-patterned interior to trap air for greater warmth and increased breathability, while rapidly wicking away moisture ($53).
Keep cosy in icy conditions
From bottom left:
8. High-stretch compression polyester/spandex provides support for medium-impact activity in Champion’s Double Dry Absolute Workout II Bra ($25).
9. A snug hood with a ponytail slot, and thumbholes in the sleeve cuffs, make Lolë’s Triumph top extra cozy. Its Merino wool fabric is warm, antibacterial and sweat-wicking ($120).
10. This polyester piqué-knit crewneck top from French ski-underwear brand Pull In features a girly bow print, and is quick-dry and sweat-wicking ($60 at Sporting Life).
11. Icebreaker’s Oasis Leggings are made from itch-free, temperature-regulating Merino wool: It breathes to prevent overheating, and wicks moisture to prevent overcooling ($110).
12. Lace layered over wicking compression fabric glams up the Sonic See It Through Bra from Under Armour. It’s made for mid-impact support ($45 at Sporting LIfe).
13. These high-stretch, tightly knit nylon leggings are seamless-no chafing (Hyba by Reitmans, $18).
• Summer clothing staples for your winter wardrobe
• Winter running 101
• 6 secrets to making winter fitness fun