This Plum and Radicchio Salad with Tahini Yogurt Dressing Is Just Right for Summer
A recipe for a sweet and tangy salad, excerpted from the cookbook Good for Your Gut, by Desiree Nielsen
This salad is full of flavourful Mediterranean ingredients like bitter radicchio, tart plums, crunchy walnuts, and creamy yogurt.
We really do not eat enough bitter vegetables because our palettes tend to be overly used to salty and sweet foods. Bitter greens such as radicchio and rapini stimulate digestion and are a wonderful balm for someone who craves sweets. Mint adds another layer of flavour to this special salad and helps to soothe the gut.
DAIRY-FREE • GLUTEN-FREE • GRAIN-FREE • HIGH-FODMAP • VEGAN
Plum and Radicchio Salad with Tahini Yogurt Dressing
Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- ½ cup (125 mL) coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) tahini
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, grated with a microplane
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) ground sumac
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) red chili flakes
Plum and Radicchio Salad
- 1 small head red radicchio, finely shredded
- 4 firm black or red plums, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) raw walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced into ribbons
- Make the tahini yogurt dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cane sugar, sumac, and chili flakes. If needed, add 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) water for desired consistency. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. (It makes a great veggie dip.)
- Make the plum and radicchio salad: In a medium bowl, toss the radicchio with half of the dressing. Layer the plums, walnuts, dates, and mint over top of the radicchio. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.
Excerpted from Good for Your Gut by Desiree Nielsen. Copyright © 2022 by Desiree Nielsen. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Next: This Peach, Burrata and Basil Salad Makes a Sweet and Savoury Summer Appetizer