Get it together: Your looks
A virtual hair salon, an online fitting room, and more beauty-centred websites
Source: Best Health Magazine, September 2008
- Get gorgeous, naturally. Lilou-organics.com, a natural skincare and beauty site based in Richmond, Ont., offers a huge selection of many model-favourite brands such as Dr. Hauschka, Druide and Suki.
- Try on a new hair colour, online. Pick the perfect shade at lorealparis.ca/en/beauty_assistants/index.asp. Simply upload a photo of yourself and choose your new hue, with zero commitment.
- Find fashion that fit. You don’t need to be a fashionista to appreciate omiru.com. This site focuses on style for all (not just the size zeros), and offers a figure-flattery guide. It also has some practical (yet still trend-driven) articles, such as “How to Buy Budget Fashion that Looks like Designer Fashion” and “Favorite Plus Size Dresses.”
- Say no to bad change-room lighting. At myvirtualmodel.com, you can use a 3-D digital doppelganger to try on clothing from retailers such as H&M, Levi Strauss and Adidas. You can still get advice from your girlfriends—just upload the looks you’re considering to your virtual model profile page and ask them to check out your choices.
- Find out what’s in your favourite face cream. Ever wonder what you’re really putting on your skin each day? Cosmeticscop.com, developed by Paula Begoun, author of Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, gives you the scoop on cosmetic ingredients.
- Embrace your inner makeup artist. For those of us who still aren’t within ogling distance of one of our favourite beauty emporiums, sephora.com offers a great kid-in-a-candy-store selection of hot cosmetic brands. Also worth checking out on the site: how-to videos, from applying false eyelashes to perfecting that barely there look.
- Keep your monitor close to heart. The sports bra at numetrex.com (US$50) comes with a built-in heart monitor to keep you cruising along at just the right pace. The bonus? It’s machine washable—in fact, its manufacturer claims the bra, with built-in monitor, is tough enough to withstand 100 machine washes.
- Let your phone kick you into shape. Check out the sleek-looking phone from Samsung and Adidas at micoach.com. It’s one tough personal trainer. Purchase the phone and software from Samsung and sync to the miCoach program from Adidas to assess your fitness level and monitor your heart rate. Plus, get coaching on your route and goal planning for your next run.
- Carry your laptop in style. Hands-down the cutest laptop bags out there, the Maddie Powers bags at mobileedge.com feature pulp images from the 1940s; plus, comfy padded velvet straps let you carry your hardware in style and comfort. Prices from US $80.
- Become a makeup expert—at home. Bookmark a selection of sites to stay current on new products and application tips: Get a wide range of skincare and beauty advice from Canadian beauty expert and former model Janine Falcon at imabeautygeek.com. And find virtual makeup lessons at lancome.ca and lisewatier.com.
Found this article informative? Subscribe to our magazine today and receive more Best Health exclusives delivered to your door!
Originally Published: July 25, 2008