6 healthier crunchy snack ideas
Craving something crunchy? Satisfy yourself’without ruining your diet’by opting for one of these healthier snack ideas
Source: Best Health Magazine, January/February 2012
Skip the potato chips, and don’t even think about nachos. The snacks below are made with flavourful and healthy foods that offer the same satisfying crunch.
1. Dunk root veggie chips (such as Terra chips) into low-fat plain yogurt seasoned with hot sauce and orange zest.
2. Chickpea poppers: Drain and rinse canned chickpeas, and dry off with a paper towel. Spritz with extra virgin olive oil, season with dried oregano and garlic salt, and roast at 400°F until crisp.
3. Dip sugar snap peas into warm goat cheese (30 seconds in the microwave should do it).
4. Fill endive spears with chopped pears and season with a dash of balsamic vinegar.
5. Easy salsa: Chop up tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers and onions in a mini chopper, and put it on Melba toast.
6. Combine finely chopped broccoli, multicoloured bell peppers and scallions with Greek yogurt and onion flakes. Use it as a dip for baby carrots. Crunch!
This article was originally titled "The four deadly cravings" in the January/February 2012 issue of Best Health. Subscribe today to get the full Best Health experience’and never miss an issue!